The purpose of this packet is to guide SLPs (but great for other professionals as well!) around the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in a friendly, easy to understand way! It covers CCSS from kindergarten to grade 5. The major sections of the packet are as follows:
1) General Pages: Contains ”How To” pages, CCSS handouts, CCSS checklists by grade level, CCSS lists by grade level, Blank data tracking sheets, and ”Look What I Can Do” booklets for your kiddos! The handouts included are as follows: Aligning Speech-Language Goals with the CCSS, Common Core and the SLP: FAQs, Online Common Core Resource Websites, and How to Read a Common Core Standard.
2) Common Core Screeners by Grade Level: There are three pages included for each grade level, kindergarten through 5th grade. The first page is a one-page screener tied to the CCSS. The second page provides the CCSS for each question on the screener. The third page ties each question to the section of the binder that targets that skills (e.g.: grammar, vocabulary, language, etc…)
3) Vocabulary Pages: The vocabulary pages are the first ‘content section’. In each ‘content section’ are “I Can” posters in various sizes, anchor charts per standard, assessment pages for each targeted CCSS, organizational sheets by specific topic, and other helpful handouts! The specific skills targeted in the vocabulary sections are multiple meaning words, affixes and root words, context clues, categories & attributes, antonyms & synonyms, and figurative language.
4) Grammar Pages: See the description above for what is included in the content section. The specific skills targeted in the grammar section are nouns, verbs, prepositions, pronouns, adjectives, and conjunctions.
5) Language Pages: The topics covered in the language pages are producing sentences, asking & answering questions, main idea, story retelling/summarizing, and describing.
6) Phonological Awareness Pages: The phonological awareness pages are the last mega content section. The topics covered in the language pages are letter/sound identification, rhyming, syllables, phoneme isolation, and phoneme substitution.
7) Pragmatics Pages: The pragmatics section outlines CCSS that can be cited for use with pragmatics objectives. Additionally, “I Can” posters are provided. Organizational sheets are included.
8) Articulation, Voice, & Fluency Pages: The articulation, voice, & fluency section outlines CCSS that can be cited for use with pragmatics objectives. Additionally, “I Can” posters are provided. Organizational sheets are included with blanks for specific speech sounds.
9) Other: The other pages include customizable “I Can” posters and organizational sheets.
Almost every page in the packet has a page number so you can easy find it again and know which part of the packet it is from! CCSS are very easily labeled on the assessments and “I Can” posters.
Below are brief descriptions of the types of pages included, and their purpose:
-Organizational Sheets: These sheets are organized by topic (e.g.: main idea, letter/sound identification, multiple meaning words) and include relevant CCSS at the bottom. They are used to keep track of all of your wonderful materials that target these specific skills. These sheets will make it easy to tie the materials you already own to the CCSS.
-Assessment Sheets: For the Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, and Grammar Pages, assessment sheets for each CCSS targeted are provided. Most times, I have included one that is filled in with stimuli AND a blank one. There are 8 sections on each (8 dates, 8 scores) that can be spread out throughout the school year to track progress on specific CCSS.
For most of the Language Page standards, I have provided a rubric to score your kiddos on instead. These sheets track your students over time in the same way but over 9 dates instead.
-“I Can” Posters: These posters are included in various sizes. You can use the larger size to hang in your speech room to remind your kiddos what they are working towards. The smaller ones can be used in the included “Look What I Can Do” booklets. These booklets are great for ‘collecting’ “I Can” posters that your students have mastered. They would be perfect to send home at the end of the year to share with their families what they have mastered in speech that year!
-Anchor Charts: An anchor chart is provided for nearly every standard included in the packet. These anchor charts are meant to be highly child friendly. They put the standards in simple terms, provided a visual (which is the same visual as on the “I Can” posters) and sometimes offer practice problems as well.
If you have ANY questions before buying this packet, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or ask me a question BEFORE you buy and I’d be happy to help!
To see more pictures and example pages, check out my blog post about this item and a 10-minute VIDEO of the product here
For information on giveaways, freebies, and sales, click here to ‘like’ me on Facebook!
For more speech therapy ideas, click here to see my blog.
The Common Core Standards were written and developed by The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.